Monday, February 8, 2010

The Red Umbrella by Christina Gonzalez



The Red Umbrella is the moving tale of a 14-year-old girl's journey from Cuba to America as part of Operation Pedro Pan—an organized exodus of more than 14,000 unaccompanied children, whose parents sent them away to escape Fidel Castro's revolution.

In 1961, two years after the Communist revolution, Lucía Álvarez still leads a carefree life, dreaming of parties and her first crush. But when the soldiers come to her sleepy Cuban town, everything begins to change. Freedoms are stripped away. Neighbors disappear. Her friends feel like strangers. And her family is being watched.

As the revolution's impact becomes more oppressive, Lucía's parents make the heart-wrenching decision to send her and her little brother to the United States—on their own.

Suddenly plunked down in Nebraska with well-meaning strangers, Lucía struggles to adapt to a new country, a new language, a new way of life. But what of her old life? Will she ever see her home or her parents again? And if she does, will she still be the same girl?

The Red Umbrella is a moving story of country, culture, family, and the true meaning of home.
--
Here's the list for this tour. Let me know if any changes need to be made by February 10th.

1. Jessica
2. Juju
3. Kathy
4. Sarah
5. MissAttitude
6. NomaDreader
7. Crystal
8. Khy
9. Lauren
10. CleverlyInked
11. Katie
12. McKenzie
13.Stephanie
14. Melissa

17 comments:

Chick Lit Teens said...

Me, me, me!

chicklitteens@gmail.com
USA
No Canada right now. Sorry.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oh mmeeeee please!
My mother and her family fled Cuba when she was @14.
I would love to read this.

suitejuju(at)gmail(dot)com

Unknown said...

I'm so in!!!
The Brain Lair (Kathy) IN - US Only please

brainlair AT gmail DOT com

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sorry! In my excitement I forgot to say: I live in Orlando, Florida and I would prefer the US.

Sarah Woodard said...

I would love to be on this tour.
I can send it to Canada.

Sarahbear119@hotmail.com

Sarah Woodard said...

Oh, and I live in WA.

MissA said...

Yay I'm so excited to read this book!!!!

I can't ship to Canda, sorry :(
willbprez at aol dot com
USA

nomadreader said...

I'd love to do this one!

nomadreaderblog (at) g mail

I'm in NY, but I cannot ship to Canada at this time.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I would like to join this one. I'm in the US and will mail to Canada.

crystalfulcher(at)ec.rr.com

Khy said...

Meeeeee please!! :D

In US, can't ship to Canada.

khyrinthia@gmail.com

Lauren {Geeb} said...

I would love to read this book! I'm in Kentucky and can't ship to Canada.

geeb.bookblog@gmail.com

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

FL, USA
Cant ship to Canada

Cleverlyinked@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Oooh, me!

IL, USA
Can't ship to Canada at this moment.

readwhatyouknow[at]gmail[dot]com.

The Book Owl said...

I really shouldn't sign up for more tours, but I've heard great things about this!

USA, can't ship to Canada
McKenzie (The Book Owl)
mac.attack17(at)yahoo(dot)com

Stephanie said...

I would like to participate --

Virginia, USA -- will ship to Canada
laughingstars66@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Melissa (Books R Us) said...

Melissa (Books R Us)
I would love to participate


melissa(at)gingerhigh(dot)com
USA (NY)

can ship to Canada

Thanks