Friday, June 25, 2010
With all the snappy dialogue and attitude of the movie Juno, this is an incredibly engaging, thought-provoking YA debut.
No one is more surprised than fifteen year old Grace Manning herself that she likes her job in the local nursing home. But that has everything to do with her relationship with one of the residents, Mr. Sands, an ex-Marine with Lou Gehrig's disease. He keeps up with Grace's witty banter, teachers her to play poker, allows her to give him a Mohawk, acts as a father figure... and one day, cheerfully asks her to help him die.
Grace tries to avoid the wrenching decision, first by praying for a miracle, and then by stuffing herself with pancakes. Soon she's running away from all feelings, including the new ones she has for her best friend, Eric, who suddenly seems to have a lot of female admirers. But Mr. Sands continues to get worse, and Grace knows this decision is too important to ignore...
Was out in May from Dial.
SIGN UPS CLOSED
God is in the Pancakes
1. Jacob (TX) Rec'd 7/10 SENT 7/17 No dc, WARNING
2. Jamie (LA) Rec'd 7/21 SENT 7/29 DC: #0310 0480 0003 1432 6533
3. Betty (TN) Rec'd 8/2 SENT 8/9. DC# 03092880000227913589
4. Meggin (KY) Rec'd 8/12 Mailed 8/23 (4 days late) DC 0309 3220 0002 1605 3501
5. Crystal (NC) Rec'd 8/25 Sent 9/4 (3 days late) DC# 9102 1480 0860 0131 1020 03
6. Kaetlyn (MD) Mailed 9/17 DC # 0310 2010 0002 5253 2293
7. Melanie (NY) Rec't 9/20
RETURNED TO DONATOR 9/27 DC# 9102128882300347067443